Re: Problems with netboot & 3Com 905B

Hello,

Ralph Roessner <roessner@rbg.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de> wrote:
> I tried to netboot a 3C905B with netboot 0.7.3 and got this far: Booting the
> disk image works fine. Booting from EPROM works up to "Uncompressing ..." but
> no further. I used the packet driver from the 3Com driver disk (EtherDisk
> 3.01, I think).

This is not a problem of the packet driver. After the "Uncompressing..."
there should follow a "done" and then a copyright message. If that doesn't
appear, the decompression algorithm found an error somewhere. Usually, it
should give you an error message. Strange enough, I haven't heard of any
lockups in the decompression algorithm yet. Could you please verify, that
it's really the decompression stage. Then you should check with a debugger,
that the processor in your client is really able to see the whole bootrom.
If possible, read out the contents of the EPROM when it's installed in the
client, and compare it with the orginal image file you used for programming
(when using DOS with the debugger, disable any memory manager! the next
netboot version 0.8 will come with a program which allows better boot EPROM
error checking without a debugger, send me a mail if you want to get a
preview version). Maybe your network card has been setup to only decode
a fraction of the full EPROM address space, and by some strange luck the
rom checksum is still correct. Additionally, you should turn off any ram
shadowing for netboot (there is no speed advantage anyway). If you still
can't get the bootrom working, please send me your bootrom image by uuen-
coded email - but remember to use a seperate email NOT being addressed
to the mailing list!

gero.

--
Sometimes it pays to stay in bed on Monday, rather than spending the rest of
the week debugging Monday's code.		- Dan Salomon