Re: Problem booting Linux

You have build a non-modular kernel (as modules can only be loaded off
of the filesystem) with the network card drivers, bootp IP
autoconfiguration enabled, and the 'root filesystem on NFS' kernel
parameters.

You can actually test this kernel and bypass the whole netboot scenario
by doing a 'dd if=/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage of=/dev/fd0' and
have a network bootable kernel on a floppy disk - then it grabs the 'rp'
tag (root path) out of the dhcp/bootp response and mounts that from the
network.  Note that you need to fiddle the mounted /etc/fstab to point
to the right place as well otherwise strange things might happen...

Its really good to use tcpdump to watch the packets to see exactly what
is failing (or in my case, where my nfs server was solaris, 'snoop')

Crispin

--
Complexity Happens