Re: Kernel panic : attempted to kill init!

Hello,

On 4 Mar 2002 23:04:03 +0100, canaryhill@softhome.net wrote:
>I inserted these to dhcpd.conf
>
>option option-128 e4:45:74:68:0:0;
>option option-129 "NIC=EXP16 IO=0x300";
>host ws005 {
>...filename  "/lts/vmlinuz-2.4.9-ltsp-5";
>}
>
>and the remote boot was fine, except sudden death with this message :
>Running /linuxrc
>Mounting /proc
>Open of /proc/bus/pci/devices failed : No such file or directory
>
>ERROR! Could not automatically detect the network care. PCI cards should be
>detected automatically. ISA cards cannot be detected, so they require the
>nic driver to be specified in a "NIC=" parameter to be passed on the kernel
>command line, usually specified in option-129, in the /etc/dhcpd.conf file.

Have you checked with a network sniffer if your DHCPD really sends out
this option to your client? Remember that in contrast to etherboot, netboot
still uses BOOTP instead of DHCP. The BOOTP reply packet can grow over
the allowed size if you use too many options, and then some options might
get skipped by your DHCPD. The BOOTP daemon makes it possible to
move the remaining options into a seperate file which then gets loaded
by the bootrom and appended at the end of the BOOTP packet internally.
I don't know if the DHCP daemon you are using has this support as well.

gero.

--
Gero Kuhlmann                           gero@gkminix.han.de
Groote Gracht 33     Tollenbrink 18     Tel.: 04921/997561