Re: 3C905C-TX-M Support?

On 6/18/2001 4:13 PM David Coulthart davec@columbia.edu wrote:
> ...  When I flashed the
>NIC with the Etherboot the BIOS of the machine would list it as an option
>in the bootup sequence.  With the netboot image I created, only the hard
>drive & floppy drive were listed as boot options.  If it is possible to
>get netboot to work with the 3C905C-TX-M, I can provide more information
>about my environment.

I think this is probably because your BIOS does not recognize the ROM
image as PNP compatible.  See the page:

   http://www.thinguin.org/pub/hacks/4.6.12-loader-patch-README.txt

for a discussion PNP compatible boot ROM issues.

In the "src" directory of the Etherboot directory you will find a program
called "disrom.pl" which will display information about the header of
your ROM image.  Here is the output from an Etherboot .lzrom file:

mdc@ll:~/etherboot-5.0.1/src$ ./disrom.pl bin32/3c905c-tpo.lzrom
PCI structure:

Vital product data: 0
Vendor ID: 0x10b7
Device ID: 0x9200
Device base type: 2
Device sub type: 0
Device interface type: 0
Image length: 16384
Code revision: 0x01
Code type: 0
Indicator: 128

PnP structure:

Vendor: Etherboot
Device: 3c905c-tpo.lzrom 5.0.1 Etherboot
Device base type: 2
Device sub type: 0
Device interface type: 0
Device indicator: 0x14
Boot connection vector: 0000
Disconnect vector: 0000
Bootstrap entry vector: 0xae
Static resource information vector: 0000
Checksum: 0

ROM checksum: 0

What I suspect is that your ROM will have the "Device base type" and
"Device interface type" fields swapped.  Try running "disrom.pl" on your
netboot image and let us know.

Ken Yap wrote a program that will easily swap the fields to make ROMs PnP
compatible if they have swapped ID bytes.  It's also in the src directory
and is called "swapdevids.pl".

I suspect if you run this on your ROM image, it will become PnP, will
appear in your BIOS boot menu, and likely execute.

I hope this helps you.  Please let us know how you make out.

Regards,

Marty

---
    Try: http://rom-o-matic.net/ to make Etherboot images instantly.

   Name: Marty Connor
US Mail: Entity Cyber, Inc.; P.O. Box 391827; Cambridge, MA 02139; USA
  Voice: (617) 491-6935, Fax: (617) 491-7046
  Email: mdc@thinguin.org
    Web: http://www.thinguin.org/