etherboot (o)tulip driver and DC 21140

Hi!

As I have recently upgraded my linux systems to a new distribution, I felt
that a new kernel was necessary. NetBoot seems to be unable to handle
newer kernels (2.2.x where x >= 18) due to the changed image tagging.

I have got three NICs with a DC21140 chipset (100 MBit). Ever since I
tried (which has been a while now), etherboot was able to detect my cards;
it is unsuccessful getting a DHCP answer, though.

Versions I tried include the most recent (4.7.23) as well as rather old
versions (don't remember that anymore, but I think it was before 4.6.x).

Depending on the driver I try, I get "sleeping" (otulip; I found the 21140
chipset mentioned in that driver) or TX Timeouts (tulip, tulip+,
tulip21142, tulipfast - sure, the 21140 is not even mentioned there).

Is there any hope for etherboot support for my NICs? I feal rather
unpleasant thinking about having to tell my boss that he'd got to buy
three new NICs just to get the boxes booting again :-/

Is there anything I can do to help you? I fear I'm not too much of a
coder, but I'd like to do anything I can.

Bye,
   Bastian

--
 Bastian Friedrich                  bastian@bastian-friedrich.de