Re: PCMCIA cards & etherboot

Tom Watson wrote:

> I don't know if this has been brought up before or not, but...
>
> Has anyone done EtherBoot (or something similar) using a PCMCIA card
> EtherNet adapter?
>
> I just got an (older) Pen computer (Fujitsu Stylistic 1000) that has
> a 640x480 screen and pen based goodie, with VERY little disk space
> (340 Mb to be exact), and NO software.  I'm thinking that this might
> be a reasonable candidate to boot via an EtherNet PCMCIA card.
>
> The problem is HOW??
> Do PCMCIA cards have flash in them (or whatever)??
> Is this programmable??
> Can it be done??

I am not aware of any PCMCIA network cards with flash ROM in them. Even
if they did exist, you would still need the machines BIOS to actually
scan the PCMCIA card for the boot code - does your machine do this?

If you have a 340MB disk, why not boot from that and then mount stuff
you need using NFS?

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.