Re: rom-o-matic.net updated with Etherboot 4.7.19

Marty Connor wrote:

> I've updated rom-o-matic.net with Etherboot 4.7.19.
>
> So please make a ROM image for Valentines Day :-)
>
> (and let us know how it goes -- the development releases can only get
> better if people try them and let us know of problems/suggestions)
>
> Regards,
>
> Marty

I had a little bit of a play with the ROM-O-Matic a couple of weeks back.
Looks really cool.

Alas, there appears to be a configuration bug that affects not only the
ROM-O-Matic, but Etherboot in general. If you select "NOINT19" in the
Config file (or the equivalent ROM-O-Matic), it still generates a boot
ROM with INT19H support. The reason is that the loader.S file needs to
be re-assembled with nasm or equivalent - this is the only place where
this Config switch is used.

Why do I care about INT19? I am nurgling a NeonTech (www.neontech.com)
NTV-1000 which I picked up real cheap (A$200, about US$2.50 :) and am
getting it going with Etherboot. It has a BIOS which doesn't do INT19,
on account of the fact that it doesn't have any disks etc. (boots from
a Flash ROM). I have hacked Etherboot in, after hacking the loader.S
file to allow NOINT19 and now have it sending out DHCP requests on it's
Ethernet port. I still need to solve the problem of it using the all
ones MAC address (ie. the broadcast address) as it's own - I think that
it's serial EEPROM may not be programmed.

Just thought you all might like to know.

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.