Re: cheap pxe enabled ethernet adapters

Marty,
     Thanks for your response.  I guess what I really want is the ability
to boot my nodes remotely without having to use a boot diskette.  From your
note, that means I could use netboot or pxe technology.  I didn't realize I
had a choice -- I assumed pxe was synonymous with diskette-less boot, and
netboot always required diskettes to boot -- I see now that that is not the
case.
     Since I don't have a ROM burner, and I'm not sure I have the patience
to invest in writing my own EPROMs (I'm more a software guy, I like my
hardware "commodity off the shelf") I guess I'm back to either the eepro100
or 3com that you mention.    You know, since IBM makes an eepro100 card,
and I work for IBM, maybe I could actually *order* some internally... no,
it's too much to ask ;-)

thanks again, Rich

Marty Connor <mdc@thinguin.org>@baghira.han.de on 01/15/2001 05:18:37 PM

Please respond to netboot@baghira.han.de