Re: Diskless Notebook

Heinrich,
     In my network boot kernel (which I run on diskless workstations, but
haven't tried laptops) I have 4 options I had to turn on myself in the
kernel:

NFS root on (CONFIG_ROOT_NFS)
ext2 filesystem (CONFIG_EXT2_FS)
BOOTP and RARP support (???)
Enable option to get IP address from the original bootp  ( I think this is
CONFIG_IP_PNP_BOOTP)

Do you have all of these enabled? Now, my diskette has only the ethernet
device driver on it, not the entire kernel.  I serve my kernel over the
network directly.  My kernel is also monolithic, meaning it has no loadable
modules (all kernel options are yes or no, none are set to module)  I got
my info from one of the original etherboot web pages, long ago...

Regards...

Richard Ferri
IBM Linux Technology Center
rcferri@us.ibm.com