Booting with existing BIOS extensions

I'm a bit new to this list, please bear with me.  I have a 3COM
"3Station" unit.  This is a box that has serial, parallel, and
network ports, along with a video/keyboard interface.  As best as
I can tell it is a (bear with me again) 286 class PC with no disk.

What I want to do is use a Linux server to boot from and use the
box as a simple "terminal" (telnet), possibly with some printer
I/O.  I thought that I could use a DOS based OS on the box, and
run some programs there.

The problem is that it has some method of booting that I'm not
very familiar with, and I am inquiring to find out if anyone has
worked with this unit and had it boot.  I suspect that once it
DOES boot, the tasks ought to be quite simple (SMB server for files
and a Telnet program (NCSA??).  The problem is how do I get the
process started.

I've looked at the packets it sends out at boot time, but I didn't
recognize EXACTLY what I saw.

Any clues??

Thanks.
--
Tom Watson         Generic short signature
tsw@johana.com     (I'm at home now)