Re: diskless computer

Helmut Pitters wrote:

> Hi all,
> iīm new to this list, so i donīt know if you can help me.
>
> (my entire problem deals with the Linux OS)
>
> I have got a NFS-Server and following the hints of the
> "Diskless-Computer-HOWTO" i was able to export directories and to mount
> them via NFS from the server itself (i did this only for testing).
>
> I also made a bootdisk for my Diskless Computer according to the HOWTO.
>

> The following happens when i boot the DC with the bootdisk:
> (Server-IP: 192.168.0.199; DC-IP: 192.168.0.8)
> ----------Here it starts----------
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> (My DC gets itīs IP from the NFS-Server via BOOTP)
> .
> .
> .
> Looking up port of RPC 100003/2 on 192.168.0.199
> Looking up port of RPC 100005/1 on 192.168.0.199
> Root-NFS: Server returned error -13 while mounting /tftpboot/192.168.0.8
> VFS: Unable to mount root fs via NFS, trying floppy
> VFS: Insert floppy and press ENTER
> ----------Here it ends----------
> Yes, there exists the directory /tftpboot/192.168.0.8 on the NFS-Server
> (for testing i even exportet /)and i exportet it without specifying a
> Host which can mount it, so everybody should be able to mount it (i
> thought).
> I copied the whole Root-FS of a Diskette-Distribution of Linux
> (Pocket-Linux) to this directory.
> I am able to mount this directory from the NFS-server.
>
> Perhaps someone of you can help me.
>
> Thanks in Advance,
> bronko.

This could be a problem with the DNS configuration. The NFS server seems
to refuse clients for which he is not able to do a reverse name lookup
(address -> hostname). So you have to setup the name server for the
domain in which the client lives (In your case 192.168.0.0). See the LDP
HOWTOs on how to do that.

--
Mfg, Christopher Arndt

Systron Unternehmensberatung GmbH, Opelstrasse 8c, 68789 St. Leon-Rot
Fon: 06227-8642-0,    Fax: 06227-864 222,    e-Mail: arndt@systron.de