Re: Netboot Mailing List Administrativa

Jens-Uwe Mager wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 07, 2000 at 05:20:46AM +0900, OKUJI Yoshinori wrote:
> > From: Jens-Uwe Mager <jum@anubis.han.de>
> > Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 00:58:33 +0200
> >
> > > Please note that the netboot mailing list is in a mode that only members
> > > subscribed to the list may also post messages.
> >
> >   Could you tell me why you have selected the policy? I think the
> > closed rule could make cooperation with other projects difficult. In
> > fact, even if a GRUB user finds a bug in a device driver of etherboot,
> > he cannot report the bug to this list, unless he subscribes. That is
> > very inconvenient.
>
> This might be true, but we had (and still have) problems with spammers
> trying to misuse mailing lists as reflectors. The policy that only
> subscribed users can post is just an extra measure to attempt to stop
> spammers.

Would it be an option to use some other anti-spam measure like ORBS?
I know that vger.rutgers.edu uses it and it seems a rather effective
way of killing SPAM.  At least the Linux kernel mailing list is reasonably
SPAM-free.  I know that using ORBS tends to cause anti-ORBS discussions
to pop up every so often, but at least these are less annoying (some are
even very funny) than SPAM.

While we're discussion administrativa: is there a way to reduce the
mailing list latency to a more bearable value than the approx 50 minutes we
have currently?  Mails get to baghira.han.de within a few seconds, but then
need ages to be delivered.

Could you have a look at where the bottleneck currently is (slow machine,
suboptimal mailer configuration, link congestion, slow DNS server, ...)?