3c905C-TX-M (was: Summary: BIOS flashed etherboot will not start)

Hi,

On Tue, 18 Apr 2000, Robert Thompson wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Apr 2000, Dirk von Suchodoletz wrote:
>
> |The unfunny part with this NIC is, the trouble I had with it under Linux.
> |After a while of heavy traffic it looses the network connection. Tried
> |with the Becker driver and the driver provided from 3COM :-(
>
> I've got a  lab full of these, and several routers full. Never had
> problems myself. Can you give me more info?  If there's a potential
> problem, I'd like to solve it before it bites me...

This problem only affects communication with 3c900 Combo [Boomerang] NICs
under heavy traffic. As long as the trafic only is related to a dlink
de660 (pcmcia 10mbps) NIC all works well.

In the first setup a 10mbps hub was used. Second a LinkPro 10/100 Nway
Switch SH-9008T. 3c905 and dlink are indicated as full duplex by the LEDs
of the switch. Fast ethernet for the 3c905 also shown well. 3c900 without
trafic shown as half duplex. Under trafic the full/half duplex LED
blinked. Roughly after 15 seconds all connections to the box with the
3c905 closed. Configuering interface up and down solved the problem for
another period of 15 seconds.

In the next step I will compile the driver of the boomerang as module and
try debug=6 options=8 to switch in full duplex mode.

lars