Re: Best HOWTO

On 3/17/00 11:05 AM Kevin Ford kevin.ford@natpower.com wrote:
>I found a HOWTO for all this netboot business, but it was about as clear as
>mud, gave no indication of what to put on the floppy and nothing about how
>to setup the server. Can anyone recommend a better guide? I understand the
>principles, etc. of everything (I run X sessions on a pc at home via a full
>linux system but am looking to free up a hard drive).
>Any recommendations for good sites etc.?

http://www.slug.org.au/etherboot/

  and

http://www.ltsp.org/

come to mind :-) also, check out the Diskless-HOWTO in your
/usr/src/doc/HOWTO directory (assuming you installed the HOWTOs from your
distro).  The LTSP mailing list has lots of patient, helpful people on it
as well.

Than should get you started.  Also, there is a link to the archives of
this list on the Etherboot page (look for the mailing-list paragraph).
Basically you'd put the floppy loader and the boot rom code on a floppy
with a command like:  "cat floppyload.bin nepci.rom > /dev/fd0".

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Marty

---
   Name: Martin D. Connor
US Mail: Entity Cyber, Inc.; P.O. Box 391827; Cambridge, MA 02139; USA
  Voice: (617) 491-6935, Fax: (617) 491-7046
  Email: mdc@thinguin.org
    Web: http://www.thinguin.org/