Re: 3C509: Problems using more then 16KB of the boot rom

Christoph Plattner wrote:

> I have problems to use more then 16KB of the boot rom. The 3COM Chip
> cannot address it, although I setup 32K in the 3c5x9cfg.exe. Also
> the 3c5x9cfg tool has a problem. On the one hand it displays a boot rom
> size of 32K on the info page, on the otherhand it displays a memory
> range of C8000-CBFFF instead of CFFFF, which indicates a 16KB memory
> window. I also tested with a logic pen, that the chip select line of
> the boot rom does not assert, if the address is over the 16KB window.
>
> Can anybody help me, how to use the full 32KB on a 3COM 3C509B ISA/PnP.
>
> By the way, PnP is disabled !!!
>
> Tanks for help
>
>         C. Plattner
> To get help about this list, send a mail with 'help' as the only string in
> it's body to majordomo@baghira.han.de. If you have problems with this list,
> send a mail to netboot-owner@baghira.han.de.

No positive reply either. Because lacking a 16k eprom, I used a 32k one.
The opt. working config was burning a doubled 16k image into the 32k one
(this was needed to get it working) and choosing 16k eprom size (to get more
ems space)... Since then, my pbx boots with light speed (of cause with my
own dos-network drivers, bionet is alive!) ;-)

The downside for you is, it seems, the 509 doesn't decode a 32k eprom
address space properly. Blame 3com (once again, grrrh)

Choosing 3com as my standard (boot)nic (tm) controller supplier

    I deeply regret...

Let's meet again in a better world

    hp