arp req during tftp

I am trying to diskless boot a PC through a gateway, with the link between
the gateway and the TFTP server being a slow one.

TFTP starts fine, but during the middle of the TFTP I find the gateway
issuing an arp request to the diskless PC, and etherboot doesnt respond.
However etherboot responds to an arp request before TFTP begins and the
kernel starts getting downloaded.

The link between the diskless PC and the gateway is also a slow link, and
there are no timeout problems.

Has anybody faced similar problems? Any idea why etherboot does not
respond to an arp request when tftp is going on?

Thanks in advance
S. Arun