Re: inet, login

>What services actually have to be startede, at the DC to be able to log in.
>At this moment i have got:
>
>S11portmap -> ../init.d/portmap
>S20random -> ../init.d/random
>S30syslog -> ../init.d/syslog
>S40crond -> ../init.d/crond
>S50inet -> ../init.d/inet
>S75keytable -> ../init.d/keytable
>S85gpm -> ../init.d/gpm

Do you really need GPM?

>S90xfs -> ../init.d/xfs

You don't need to run xfs on the diskless machine, only on the server.

>S99local
>
>Is there anything i am missing which could cause that i am not able to log
>in. ??
>
>Is in not enough to have the root on nfs mounted to be able to log in ???

It's unlikely to be a missing service. Most likely you have missed
something like allowing the NFS root to be rw and no_root_squash,
because various daemons expect to be able to write to /var or /etc.
I would suggest you go with a packaged solution like www.ltsp.org or use
the "copy a subset a known distribution" scheme that I provide a couple
of shell scripts to do in the Etherboot distribution.