Re: 3C509: Problems using more then 16KB of the boot rom

Christoph Plattner wrote:

> I have problems to use more then 16KB of the boot rom. The 3COM Chip
> cannot address it, although I setup 32K in the 3c5x9cfg.exe. Also
> the 3c5x9cfg tool has a problem. On the one hand it displays a boot rom
> size of 32K on the info page, on the otherhand it displays a memory
> range of C8000-CBFFF instead of CFFFF, which indicates a 16KB memory
> window. I also tested with a logic pen, that the chip select line of
> the boot rom does not assert, if the address is over the 16KB window.
>
> Can anybody help me, how to use the full 32KB on a 3COM 3C509B ISA/PnP.
>
> By the way, PnP is disabled !!!
>
> Tanks for help
>
>         C. Plattner
> To get help about this list, send a mail with 'help' as the only string in
> it's body to majordomo@baghira.han.de. If you have problems with this list,
> send a mail to netboot-owner@baghira.han.de.

In the INSTALL file in the netboot/doc directory, in makes mention of the fact
that certain 3Com NICs allow selection of 32kB for ROM size, but actually
support only 16kB. I seem to remember (but of course I could not find the
documentation) that the 3c509 is one of these.

Kent