Re: Look Mom, no PROM burner! (eepro100b flashing instructions) :-)

On 1/23/2000 3:47 AM erik@math.uu.se Erik Starbäck wrote:
>In <http://www.han.de/~gero/netboot/archive/msg01718.html> I wrote what I
>did know about futil and fboot then. It is about the same as Martys
>instructions, but I have a few comments now.

Erik, I didn't notice your message.  It would have saved me time.  I
guess "great minds think alike" :-)

Now it's time to download the archives so I can content search them :-)

>It worked for me without any padding. When I burned a smaller image
>the program printed 50% instead of 100% and then it
>stopped. Everything worked anyway.

I didn't know how fussy the program was on this. This is a good thing to
know!

>I also did a brutal way of install etherboot or netboot on a
>EEPRO100+Mng without creating a file of type "2794FC60.FLS" for
>every card. It was necessary for me when I installed 70 clients...
>I chopped the binary file fboot.exe (my version was 99811 bytes, I
>don't remember the version name) in three parts:
>
>fboot1 30096 bytes
>fboot2 65536 bytes
>fboot3 4179  bytes

>Then you cat put them together again, but with a different part 2 and
>save it as fbootown.exe and execute it. It worked for me anyway. Of
>course you have to use padding to get a 64k part instead of fboot2.

This is great information.  I'd really like to see this in the
etherboot/contrib directory.  May I create a document with information
from both of our messages for Ken to include in the release?

I will make sure to give you proper credit.  I am most interested in
making sure that this information is easy for people to find.

Thanks for your message!

Regards,

Marty

---
   Name: Martin D. Connor
US Mail: Entity Cyber, Inc.; P.O. Box 391827; Cambridge, MA 02139; USA
  Voice: (617) 491-6935, Fax: (617) 491-7046
  Email: mdc@thinguin.org
    Web: http://www.thinguin.org/