Kernels not recognising my net adapter

Hi,

I have a working diskless setup using Mandrake 6.1 as a basis.  All is well,
but i need a new kernel as the one I'm using does not support modules.  I
have successfully compiled a number of new kernels both from stable and
development sources.  However, they all suffer from the same problem -
during boot they complain that the checksum of the network card's EEPROM is
wrong, quoting a MAC address of 00 00 00 00 00 00 (...however many 00s).  At
that point it can't start bootp so the whole thing falls over.  I have a
working kernel, which does recognise the MAC address correctly, so what can
have gone wrong here?  Could it be to do with upgrading some library
somewhere, or is it to do with a setting in the .config?  I'm stumped.

(as a corollary, does anyone know why mandrake source kernels won't boot
with loadlin?)

John