ramdisk + X

I was able to successfully run X using etherboot and netboot with the root
filesystem being NFS mounted. I then ran an X -query server in inittab and
I got the familiar xdm screen with a mesh background and the login dialog
box.

I then tried using the root filesystem as an initial ramdisk, I got the
mesh background but I failed to get the login dialog box. After waiting
for a sufficient length of time, I pressed Ctrl-Alt-backspace and I
noticed the error message - XDM: Too many retransmissions.

In making the ramdisk image, I used the NFS mounted root fs and there is
absolutely no difference between the two. Then why is it that in the case
of initrd + ramdisk I fail to get the X-win login dialog box?

Thanx in advance
S. Arun