Re: RTL-Poll Error and <sleep> for ever

Dirk von Suchodoletz wrote:

> If I start a set of 20 terminals at the same time about 5 do not start
> without user interaction because of the problems described above.

I have a customer running 70 workstations.  They have had a couple
of power failures, and the server continues to run because it is
on a ups, but the workstations aren't protected.

When the power comes back up, only a couple of workstations would
boot, the rest would stop at <sleep>

We did some testing last saturday.  We found that if there was enough
activity on the network, even 1 workstation would fail to boot.
We created the activity with a ping flood 'ping -f'.

We then found that if we set the '-DCONGESTED' option in the Config
file,
the workstations work perfectly.  Even with two ping floods going,
the workstation is still able to grab it's kernel via tftp and
eventually
(like 20 minutes), it comes upto the xdm login.

All of the workstations in this case are using NE2000 10mbit cards.

The -DCONGESTED option completely fixed the problem for us.  Now,
I need to burn another 69 proms.

I hope this can help you,

Jim McQuillan
jam@ltsp.org