Re: Tulip based NETGEAR FA310TX: No adapter found

On 1/10/2000 7:03 AM abrenner@alinka.com Antoine Brenner wrote:
>I just grabbed etherboot-4.4.0 from http://www.slug.org.au/etherboot/ and
>tried both the ntulip.c and tulip.c on my tulip based NETGEAR FA310TX (from
>floppy).( Theses are PCI cards with only RJ45 adapters for ethernet 10/100 )
>In both cases, I get the "No adapter found" message.
>The ntulip.c version I used is  0.75b3

I'm working on it right now.  The "No Adapter Found" message is because
the PCI signature of the card is not known.  Even if it were found, it
would fail shortly thereafter.

Ken has put 0.75b3 into Etherboot as of 4.2.12, so no need to install it.
I'll pull it from the thinguin.org site soon.

>Is there any "quick and dirty" hack that could help me into getting these
>cards working ?

I don't think there is a quick and dirty way to support it, but I'm
working on a slower and cleaner way.  The card is different enough from
the other Tulip clones we support in Etherboot to require some new
additional code to read the "MII" (Media Independent Interface)
information of the LC82169C.  This requires a bit more work.

I was hoping to have something this weekend, but I decided to take my
wife out for Mexican food and see that new "Galaxy Quest" movie, so it
may take a few more days.  I think it is doable, however.

>The cards are well supported by Linux as shown below from cat /proc/pci from
>a 2.2.12-20 redhat 6.1 kernel:  (Same with stock 2.2.13 kernel)
>  Bus  0, device  16, function  0:
>    Ethernet controller: LiteOn LNE100TX (rev 32).

Umm, are you *sure* that's the FA310TX card??  Would you be so kind as to
read the writing on the controller chip of that card and let me know?
The LiteON LNE100TX is not what I expected.  The LNE100TX uses an
LC82C115 chip, whereas the FA310TX I have uses a LC82C169 chip.  There is
already support in etherboot for the LC82C115 (LNE100TX), just do "make
lc82c115.fd0" to make a floppy. (the ntulip driver generates several .rom
images).

>Feel free to ask for more information on my side if I can help.

Thanks.  It would be extremely helpful if you could download the PCI
utilities on this page:

  http://www.freshmeat.net/appindex/1998/04/20/893094449.html

And send the output, listing the PCI signatures of your ethernet card (it
should be something like  11AD 0002 ).  This will help let me know if the
card you are using is like mine.

Thanks for your willingness to help debug this!

Regards,

Marty

---
   Name: Martin D. Connor
US Mail: Entity Cyber, Inc.; P.O. Box 391827; Cambridge, MA 02139; USA
  Voice: (617) 491-6935, Fax: (617) 491-7046
  Email: mdc@thinguin.org
    Web: http://www.thinguin.org/