Re: Cannot compile romutil

> i tried to compile etherboot/contrib/3c90xutil/romutil.c and got lots of
> errors:
>
> /tmp/cc33UwBd.o: In function `main':
> /tmp/cc33UwBd.o(.text+0x83): undefined reference to `outw'
> /tmp/cc33UwBd.o(.text+0x92): undefined reference to `inl'
> /tmp/cc33UwBd.o(.text+0xb5): undefined reference to `outl'
> /tmp/cc33UwBd.o(.text+0xce): undefined reference to `outw'

What kind of system is this on?  Linux?  If so, what version / C library
version?  It compiles on my system using Linux 2.2.x, glibc.  The makefile
doesn't have any -l options for libraries.

> What library do i have to link against? (There is no Makefile in the
> 3c90xutil directory, so i tried plain 'gcc romutil.c')

The makefile didn't make its way into the distribution.  It should be in
the next Etherboot distribution.

> Also, a related question: Can i use AMTEL 28C256 on a 3C905B-TX?

Well, there are a couple of issues:

1)  The AT28C256 is a 28-pin chip.  The 3c905B has a 32-pin socket.
2)  The AT28C256 is 32 kilobyte.  The 3c905B was designed to accept only
    64 kilobyte and 128 kilobyte chips.
3)  The AT28C256 has a 64-byte pagesize for sector programming.  The two
    chips recommended for 3c905B, the AT29C512 and AT29C010, have 128-byte
    pages.  romutil works based on the 128-byte page assumption.  I don't
    know if the ASIC "knows" about 128-byte sectors.

Other than that, I have no idea how closely tied electronically the ASIC
on the 3c905B is with the specifics of the AT29C512.  My guess would be
that if you wire it up right, almost any 5-volt sufficiently fast ROM
chip should work in the 3c905B for read-purposes.  For onboard programming
I've stuck with the AT29Cxxx chips listed above; others may work but I have
no idea whether the ASIC has intelligence about the semantics of accessing
the flash ROM for write purposes.  There could be timing issues that
restrict the use of other ROM chips for even read-only use, but I don't
know.

Greg