Re: More ammunition ... was Re: Making a floppy fails?

On 12/30/1999 8:45 PM dgilbert@velocet.ca David Gilbert wrote:
>http://trooper.velocet.ca/~dgilbert/etherboot/work/etherboot-4.2/src-32/
>is the whole URL ... in there are things like eepro.rom

I downloaded the eepro100.rom and floppyload.bin files from the above URL
and did (as root):

  # cat floppyload.bin eepro100.rom > /dev/fd0

The code seems to load and run, and searches for the adapter (I don't
have an eepro100 card, but clearly the driver code is executing here).

Things to check:

1. Try a freshly formatted DOS diskette.  I have had some floppies become
unusable on occasion.  Formatting them sometimes fixed them.

2. Try connecting a floppy directly to the workstation you're building on
to avoid the possibility that during the copy process the file is
corrupted by some over-zealous text conversion or 7-bit communication
path bug.
2a. Try making a tar file of the two files and ftp'ing that (in binary
mode) to the machine with the floppy drive.

3. Check your BIOS settings to make sure that memory isn't being shadowed
or otherwise stepped on peculiarly.  By the way, what kind of machine is
this, and what version of what BIOS is it running?  What kind of
motherboard, how much RAM, etc.  All these bits of information might be
significant to someone on the list.

4. Check the phase of the moon, and your horoscope ;-)

But keep going, we're eliminating possibilities rapaidly.  Stay with it.

Regards,

Marty

---
   Name: Martin D. Connor
US Mail: Entity Cyber, Inc.; P.O. Box 391827; Cambridge, MA 02139; USA
  Voice: (617) 491-6935, Fax: (617) 491-7046
  Email: mdc@thinguin.org
    Web: http://www.thinguin.org/