Re: newbee question

>This brings a question to mind.  What is going on with Nilo?  I believe
>Nilo is also using tagged images.  They may use their own tagged-image
>format that is different from what mknbi creates and what Etherboot uses.
>I'm not sure.

No, NILO will use the same tagged image format.

>I checked out the Nilo home page (http://www.nilo.org), but have not
>quite figured out what to make of it.  It seems PXE compatibility is a
>goal;  It also seems that there are several competing schemes for network
>booting right now.
>
>Can anyone shed some light on the current state of network booting
>initiatives, and how Etherboot, Nilo, PXE, GRUB, etc. fit in.  I'm
>interested mostly in sharable, open-source solutions, but any information
>on the topic would be appreciated.

NILO is not ready for use yet. The eventual goal of NILO is to be able
to use Linux NIC drivers in boot ROMs but there are still some  hurdles
to overcome.  You can subscribe to the NILO mailing list, but it's
very technical. There is nothing for end users at the moment. Only for
developers willing to help.