netboot "who am i ???"

Hello !
  We use netboot/etherboot to boot many dos clients here.
  the dos clients are dnc machine controllers.
  so every client's configuration almost the same, only a little
  different.
  client 1 run "dnc cient1",
  client2 run "dnc client2"..etc.
  if we can use only 1 boot-image for every client, it seems better.
  to implement this, every client must know "who am i", so they can
  run the correct command line.
  i now use this command "3c5x9cfg list" to get the mac-address for
  deciding " who am i". ( we use 3c509b now).
  it works.  but if netboot/etherboot offer an more easy/common way
  for client to decide "who am i", i think maybe it's better...
  maybe netboot/etherboot can create an "info" file when  uncompressing
  boot-image, so clients can get  something useful from that file ?
  or any other good ways to let client know " who am i " ???
  Thanks for reply !!!

  Best Regards,
  Tbsky