Re: LinkSys LNE100TX Card and EPROM Burner

I have ordered some more PCI 10/100 ethernet cards, which should arrive
in the net few days.  When they arrive I will see which ones I can get to
Etherboot, and will supply what patches I am able to.

In order to support more cards we need to know their PCI codes, which
consist of a "Vendor ID" and a "Device ID".  Here is the URL which
describes a Linux program which I believe (I haven't tested it yet) will
display these codes:

   http://www.freshmeat.net/appindex/1998/04/20/893094449.html

[some BIOSes print out the codes every reboot, so you may just be able to
read them off the screen]

It occurs to me, that I should put these codes in the thinguin.org card
database.

Why do we need these codes?

It turns out that the ROM must contain the PCI IDs of the PCI card that
it is on, becase some BIOSes do a check to make sure that the PCI IDs of
the card match the PCI IDs of the [EP]ROM.  If they do not, the ROM will
not be executed. It seems to be a sanity check, which makes sense, since
the BIOS probably is looking at the address space, and doesn't actually
know whether there is a ROM supplying the bits or not. Checking that the
IDs of the memory image in that space matches the PCI IDs of the card
would make sense. Does anyone know for sure how this works? I am
presuming the PCI card doesn't do the checking.

This explains why sometimes a floppy image will work, but an EPROM will
not work. The floppy image gets loaded by the BIOS no matter what,
whereas the EPROM image only loads if its PCI codes match the cards.

This being said, once we have the IDs, two or three files will usually
need to be edited. "Makefile" will need to be adjusted to create a .rom
and .lzrom with the proper IDs, and the driver source (.c and/or .h)
files may need to be edited, if this card requires special
initialization/operational sequences to work properly. Then comes testing
of the image.  The good news is, if it works with a floppy, it will
usually work with an EPROM once one figures out what size and where to
burn it.

If people interested in seeing more PCI cards supported would be so kind
as to supply us with PCI codes (you can use the "PCI Utilities" mentioned
above, or some BIOSes just print out the information in a list every
reboot) and other identifying information such as Card Manufacturer,
Model and any numbers on the main chip such as "MX98715AEC" it would be
very helpful.

Thanks,

Marty

---
   Name: Martin D. Connor
US Mail: Entity Cyber, Inc.; P.O. Box 391827; Cambridge, MA 02139; USA
  Voice: (617) 491-6935, Fax: (617) 491-7046
  Email: mdc@thinguin.org
    Web: http://www.thinguin.org/