Re: How to boot FreeBSD from DOS through a 3c905c ?

Robert> I need setup several diskless clients - X terminals running
Robert> under FreeBSD. I am looking for a DOS utility that could do
Robert> boot FreeBSD through a 3c905c network card. However, I keep
Robert> running into various problems I have not been able to solve:
Robert> Etherboot does not seem to support 3c905c. I even came across
Robert> some message explicitly stating this. Due to my poor
Robert> connection to the Internet I have not been able to download
Robert> the source to verify this. Moreover I have a feeling that
Robert> etherboot can't be compiled into a DOS utility, only a ROM
Robert> image.

Ken> Etherboot supports FreeBSD booting (ELF and a.out) now since
Ken> 4.2.8, (but from ROM or floppy, not DOS) you just need to add
Ken> some ifdefs to the Config. As for the 905C, non-support is what's
Ken> claimed by the author of the driver. I would like to see somebody
Ken> give it a try with the existing driver.  I don't know if the
Ken> difference is minor and just involves a new PCI device ID and
Ken> maybe some small mods to the code or is a major chip revision.

Right... but etherboot doesn't do PXE (my problem)...

Dave.