Re: PXE

Well i got a sim response from intel... in my experience, Intel's email and
phone support is completely incompetent.... I have been booting diskless
cleints using Intel PXE cards for over a year...

Just use the most up to dave version of dhcpd (www.isc.org) and it works
fine... I'll paste a example of my dhcpd file below...

# DHCP configuration file for DHCP ISC 3.0 & BpBatch
# Matthew Hoskins

# Global options
option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
default-lease-time -1;
option space PXE;
option PXE.mtftp-ip    code 1 = ip-address;
option PXE.mtftp-cport code 2 = unsigned integer 16;
option PXE.mtftp-sport code 3 = unsigned integer 16;
option PXE.mtftp-tmout code 4 = unsigned integer 8;
option PXE.mtftp-delay code 5 = unsigned integer 8;

# Subnet-specific options
subnet 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
  range 192.168.1.201 192.168.1.206;
  option routers 192.168.1.1;
  filename "bpbatch";
  next-server 192.168.1.4;
  option option-135 "bootlinux";
  # PXE specific options
  class "pxeclients"
        {
         match if substring (option vendor-class-identifier, 0, 9) =
                "PXEClient";
         option vendor-class-identifier "PXEClient";
         # At least one of the vendor-specific option must be set. We set
         # the MCAST IP address to 0.0.0.0 to tell the bootrom to still use
         # TFTP (address 0.0.0.0 is considered as "no address")
         option PXE.mtftp-ip 0.0.0.0;
         vendor-option-space PXE;
        }

#hardcoded ip for a particular mac addr
host whisper1 {
       hardware ethernet 00:90:27:4e:ac:14;
       fixed-address 192.168.1.201;
       }

  }

Rudhuwan Abu Bakar wrote:

> hi guys
>
> For those who has tried PXE to boot client, is it true that the client
> need to have a harddisk? I got a reply from Intel that said PXE is not
> meant for a diskless client.
>
> regards
>
> Rudhuwan Abu Bakar
> Network Computer Group
> MIMOS
> Technology Park Malaysia
> 57000 Kuala Lumpur
> MALAYSIA
> fax : +603 467 8477
> phone : 603 966 5000 ext 6333

> To get help about this list, send a mail with 'help' as the only string in
> it's body to majordomo@baghira.han.de. If you have problems with this list,
> send a mail to netboot-owner@baghira.han.de.

It is by Linux alone I set my machine in motion.
      It is by the open source alone that kernel acquires speed,
       the modules acquire patches.
      The patches become a new release.
It is by Linux alone I set my machine in motion.