Re: Mounting root fs

Hello,

I am also a beginner in using netboot systems but I had the same problem. I
do not know if my answer is correct but maybe it helps You.

In my case the exported root fs for the client being installed on the
server was copied using tar. Unfortunatelly the /tmp directory does not
maintain it's temporary bit which is indicating that it is a
temp-directory. After changing the sticky bit everthing went fine.

BTW, did You mounted Your root fs with no_root_squash? This is important
since otherwise the system which is trying to mount the root fs with rw is
not capable of writing on the fs. This is necessary after booting the
kernel when the system is coming up.

Good luck!

Wolfgang

At 17:51 03.11.99 +0100, Blazej Sawionek wrote:

>A very basic question if you don't mind:
>
>Following the miniHOWTO and NetBoot doc I succesfully arrived to the point
where the kernel is lodaded by the client and nfs root filesystem mounted.
>Now I get the message:
>
>Unable to open an initial console
>
>How do I deal with this?
>I feel the problem may lay in lack of /dev directory, but in the
documentation I couldn't find anything about that.

>Blazej
>To get help about this list, send a mail with 'help' as the only string in
>it's body to majordomo@baghira.han.de. If you have problems with this list,
>send a mail to netboot-owner@baghira.han.de.

*
Wolfgang Ganzert