Re: Sun ELC diskless client and i386 Linux server

I missed the beginning of this discussion but maybe I can help You.

I am also running Sparc Classic X as diskless x terminals using Redhat 6.0.
These machines boot from Sparcstation 10 via tftp. There is Diskless HOW-To
in the web describing the way using diskless x terminals. Although it is
related to Intel archictectures it mostly works on Sparcs too. There also
is web page (I do not remember the URL) with the title "Booting Linux in
diskless Sparc ELC". I used both documents named above and was successfull.

If I can answer to special questions I will try that. Maybe You should mail
me directly together together with the mailing list.

Good luck.

Wolfgang

At 17:39 17.10.99 -0400, Marty Connor wrote:

>I'm not certain, but you might try this URL for information about booting
>Suns as diskless clients (possible Etherboot link candidate?):
>
>  http://www2.gol.com/users/gaijin/Linux/
>
>Here is some text from the page:
>
>---------- Begin Quoted Text -----------
>
>The SPARC-Linux Xterminal Package
>
>The SPARC-Linux Xterminal package allows a diskless, low-memory, SPARC
>workstation to be used as an xterminal. The concept is basically that of
>Seth Robertson's "Xkernel", in that the workstation runs a cut-down, Unix
>kernel and an X-server process, but very little else. This configuration
>enables low-end, limited-memory machines to run X-based applications at a
>speed approaching that of the server.
>
>It's all Linux! There are no Sun binaries or libraries involved at all.
>The kernel and libraries are derived from the Red Hat 4.2 release and are
>redistributed here under the terms of the GNU General Public Licence
>(please see the file COPYING for details).
>
>This is very much an alpha release and anyone using the package should
>consider themselves a tester, rather than an end-user. Bug reports and,
>more importantly, fixes, are welcome, as are reports of other systems and
>releases on which this package has been discovered to work.
>
>---------- End Quoted Text -----------
>
>I hope this is helpful to you.
>
>Regards,
>
>Marty Connor
>
>>>Yes, I know, that it's a list for i386-clients, so sorry, but we have 12
>>>Sun SparcStation ELC, without HDD.
>>>
>>>Who have some info:
>>>- where I can get info about this mashine,
>>>- what need an ELC as boot-file,
>>>- how and where he search here nfs-root,
>>>- who use a system with PC-Linux server and Sun ELC diskless client?
>>>More about our system:
>>>Our departement at the University of Pecs have a RedHat 6.0 on an
>>>Pentium (amirot.jpte.hu).
>>>We have get 12 mashines without document.
>>>One of the xterminals gets her IP via rarp, he (the ELC) downloads a file
>>>(tftpboot.img) from the PC's /tftpboot directory, begins a RedHat
>>>install, but I can't say for the xterminal, that he have search an
>>>nfs-root on my PC.
>

>---
>        Martin D. Connor, CEO & President, Entity Cyber, Inc.
>       US Mail: P.O. Box 391827, Cambridge, MA 02139-0018  USA
>   Voice: (617) 491-6935, Fax: (617) 491-7046, Net: mdc@entity.com
>                     Web: http://www.entity.com/

>To get help about this list, send a mail with 'help' as the only string in
>it's body to majordomo@baghira.han.de. If you have problems with this list,
>send a mail to netboot-owner@baghira.han.de.

*
Wolfgang Ganzert