Re: Strange Problem with Realtek 8139

Dirk von Suchodoletz wrote:

> Hi,
>         I 've experienced a strange Problem with the 8139 etherboot code
> (version 4.2.6): If I connect a PS2 mouse to the pc, the systems restarts
> shortly after it entered the boot rom code ... if I disconnect the mouse
> all works fine. I tried several settings within the pci bios, disabled
> interupts for sound, hdd etc. but no effect. I used two different boards,
> a chaintech with Intel-EX and an asus with Intel-LX ...

Hi,
I think it's a general hardware  DRAM problem. I also often have this starnge
errors on severel  machines.
Specially if  the machine reached the normal  working temperature after  10
minutes.
First set up your  BIOS to copy the bootrom to shadow ram.  If  this do help
look to
your BIOS Setup  and find the DRAM settings. Change this to 70ns and I hope it
will work.
I have a lot of funny errors, also  during booting up Linux  if a PS/2 mouse
was connected
and  no problems  wihout  mouse.
On all machines changing the DRAM settings  solve the problems.
It seems timings and specification  of the hardware manufacturers are all made
for slowl
and bad coded Gatesware  systems, Hi HI.
So if you run any real OS  have a look  to your hardware.

Greetings Wolfgang