RE: X11 on diskless WS with shared /usr does not start

Hello,

At 09:27 27.09.99 +0200, David Dao wrote:
>Try first:
>
>1) run  "$ xdm &"  on your server
>2) run  "$ X -query <server_name>" on diskless client

To 1) xdm is running on the server
To 2) The command X -query <server-name> leads to the same error messages as
when I tried to start X11 by the command startx.

>this should result il a X login prompt ....

There is no login prompt on the client. The screen is turing white after
initiating X -query <server-name> or startx. I can return to the text
console only with Cntlr-Alt-F1. There are the following error messages as
already explained.

_X11TransSocketUnixconnect: Can't connect: error = 61

and

_FontTransSocketUnixConnect: Can't connect: error = 61

>If not you may have some configuration errors .... or some links wrong (
>for egsample where's your XF86.config and where is link to it ).

What seems strange to me is that the the source for /usr is installed on a
workstation with a disk and there the X111 system is running well. Am I
wrong if I say that all links should be therefore OK. In fact not only /usr
is an adapted copy (with "tar -cvf - <source-dirs> |(cd /tftpboot; tar -xvf
-") of a working installation but all the rest of the fs tree aswell. But
the files specific for the client (example: all files from /etc) are altered.

Do you have any further suggestions?

Bye

Wolfgang

>If you can get that to work then you're on the way to a solution.
>
>Ciaps
>Dave

>To get help about this list, send a mail with 'help' as the only string in
>it's body to majordomo@baghira.han.de. If you have problems with this list,
>send a mail to netboot-owner@baghira.han.de.

*
Wolfgang Ganzert