Re: Re[2]: booting diskless(!) linux-pc from WinNT?

I for one would be very interested in this. I wish to use SMB to mount
volumes from Linux and FreeBSD boxes.

Please publish (and send me a copy of) your mini-howto. I (and I suspect
a lot of others) would like to read it.

Thanks,

Marty

On 9/26/1999 7:05 PM ptkatcho@portal.ca Pavel Tkatchouk wrote:

>Wednesday, September 15, 1999, 7:42:45 PM, Matt Hortman wrote:
>
>MH> What I did instead was create a RAM disk that has the /dev directory
>and the
>MH> bare minimum required to mount NFS.  The RAM disk contents are
>downloaded with
>MH> the linux kernel by etherboot and then the scripts executed by init
>mount the
>MH> rest of the directories needed...
>
>Pretty close to what I did a couple years ago - Linux based diskless
>Java client. Ever since we use it in commercial product no problem.
>My bootable image with minimal root file system is ~1.5MB. Once kernel
>is up and running it mounts rest of the file system (X, client apps,
>etc.) from NT box over SMBFS (no need for NFS server). I even started
>to write mini-howto but never published it. If there will be any
>interest I'll send it for critique.
>
>Best regards,
> Pavel                            mailto:ptkatcho@portal.ca

>To get help about this list, send a mail with 'help' as the only string in
>it's body to majordomo@baghira.han.de. If you have problems with this list,
>send a mail to netboot-owner@baghira.han.de.

---
        Martin D. Connor, CEO & President, Entity Cyber, Inc.
       US Mail: P.O. Box 391827, Cambridge, MA 02139-0018  USA
   Voice: (617) 491-6935, Fax: (617) 491-7046, Net: mdc@entity.com
                     Web: http://www.entity.com/