Re: Problems with EEPR100 and etherboot

> >I have had problems using etherboot with Intel EEPRO100 card. It seems that
> >etherboot can't initialize the card correctly since it reads strange
> >numbers for MAC-address and complains about eeprom checksum error. This
> >seems to happen always if the the card has revision less than five
> >(cat /proc/pci reports eg. 'Ethernet controller: Intel 82557 (rev 1).').
>
> Is it possible the earlier revisions of the controller had a different
> register layout? There has been a disturbing tendency for some NIC
> manufacturers to change the hardware without changing the model number,
> e.g. the Netgear FA310TX changed from DEC Tulip chip to a clone but
> didn't change model number.

Perhaps. However, with Asus P5A (unfortunately most of our motherboards
are of this type) all revisions give exactly the same problems. I also
tried to compare the eepro100 driver in etherboot package and in the Linux
kernel, since Linux kernel drivers works okay for all card revisions in
all motherboards, but I don't know enough about device drivers to tell
what is the difference. Is there anything preventing the etherboot eepro100
driver to initialize and probe the card in the same way than Linux kernel
driver does?

		Kai Arstila