Problems with EEPR100 and etherboot

I have had problems using etherboot with Intel EEPRO100 card. It seems that
etherboot can't initialize the card correctly since it reads strange
numbers for MAC-address and complains about eeprom checksum error. This
seems to happen always if the the card has revision less than five
(cat /proc/pci reports eg. 'Ethernet controller: Intel 82557 (rev 1).').

For Asus P5A motherboard the problem occurs also for later revisions of
the ethernet controller. A workaround for this problem is to use netboot,
which works up to version 0.7.2. Later versions do not work. I would prefer
using etherboot, however, since it allows choosing local boot or network
boot at the boot time.

So, I would like to ask if anyone else has experienced problems with
EEPRO100 adapters and etherboot. Or has anyone got etherboot to work
with Asus P5A motherboard and EEPRO100, or with any motherboard with
EEPRO100 of revision less than 5.