Re: Security problem

In message <Pine.LNX.4.10.9909081131030.8384-100000@webrusso.unime.it>,
"Giusep
pe Patane'" wrote:
>I use netboot to boot my cluster of Linux PCs. All of the PCs in the
>cluster are visible only inside my private network. But, the server
>containing the bootpd has two network cards and it is connected to the
>external LAN, too. Some questions about this:
>1) Can somebody on the external LAN change the MAC address of a network
>card and boot from my server as if it was a machine of mine ?

In theory yes. (Almost) all network cards (or to be more precise : the
chipsets) allow to change the MAC-address after booting.

>2) To avoid the previous problem, can I prevent the bootpd from listening
>to the card connected to the external LAN ?

Either by configuring bootpd (I don't know if and how) or you could use
the kernel firewall features (e.g. the packet filtering) to block certain
ports on the outside interface.

	Bernd

--
 Bernd Petrovitsch               Institute of Computer Technology
 Gußhausstraße 25-29, A-1040 Vienna Email: bernd@ict.tuwien.ac.at

PGP signature