Re: RAMDISK during BootP

Ken Yap <ken@nlc.net.au> on 07/18/99 01:48:36 PM

Please respond to netboot@baghira.han.de

To:   netboot@baghira.han.de
cc:    (bcc: Piyush Agarwal/HSS)

Subject:  Re: RAMDISK during BootP

>Hi,
>
>Is RAMDISK available during BootP in netboot/etherboot so that application
>modules may also be FTPed along with the kernel in the RAMDISK during Bootp.
>
>Thanks
>Piyush

Not during the bootp/DHCP stage, that's only for getting configuration
information.  (It seems a common, but wrong practice, to call the whole
diskless boot process bootp, when that's just the first stage.) But yes
you can tftp a tagged image that contains an init ramdisk, courtesy of
code that Markus Gutschke put into mknbi-linux. See the man page.

As far as I understand ramdisk image is first created and is permanently put in
the bootimage along with the kernel image.
Can I put my application files in this ramdisk? In that case I don't have to
download them seperately. By the way, do I
need initrd? Is so, why? Can't I have just the final ramdisk?

Thanks,
Piyush