Re: Motherboard scan user flash feature

Richard Schroeder writes:
 > Can I use it for netboot?  If so, what
 > tool do I use to write the netboot image.flash to the user flash area?
 > Curious.

Your motherboard vendor really should have given you a tool to write
this part of the system FlashPROM. So, before trying anything else,
check the website for this motherboard and see if you can find
anything useful. If that doesn't help, then you have to experiment. If
you are lucky, you can use the normal flash utility that you'd use to
upgrade your system BIOS and read out your current BIOS. Then find
some empty space in the image (i.e. lots of zero bytes) and replace
those with the netboot image. There have also been utilities out
there, that required you to _pre_pend the netboot image before the
system BIOS and then burn it again. In any case, if you do these
things, you really should have access an EPROM burner that knows how
to restore the contents of your system BIOS if you make any
mistakes. Chances are pretty good, that if you do anything wrong, you
won't be able to boot that motherboard anymore. You have been warned!

Markus

--
Markus Gutschke                         Internet: markus@infoscape.com
Infoscape, Inc                          Phone:    +1-415-544-4762

Disclaimer: The above message represents my personal opinion; it does
            not constitute an official statement by Infoscape!

PGP signature