Re: Netboot + Advantec

Dear Ian,
Why do you prefere the use of the SSD ?
Is your System not ready to place a bootprom in ?
Which network-card are you using ?

As far as I understood your problem, you can use your SSD in two different
modes:
a) Flash Rom        emulation mode
b) Block device     emulation mode

You donīt know how to use a), and you know that b) does not work with linux.
So what remains is the use of the DOS Disk. Please tell me if i am not right
with this interpretation.

Here are two different concepts:

Use BootRom-Disks
-----------------------------
If the SSD can emulate a Disk, how do you init it ? Could you write to it
with the rawrite-utility ?
If so, rawrite a BootRom-Disk to it and hope that it boots.

Use a DOS Loader
---------------------------
You have to create a DOS-Programm that loadīs and executes the Code of a
bootprom.
You have only 512k space for the DOS system files, the fatīs, the prom-file
and the loader.
Because the code of an etherboot-prom is smaller then netboot, think of
using it.
May be Ken Yap can assist you in writing the loader.

In no case you should use a concept that has no support for downloading the
kernel; this seems to be
very inflexible.

Greetings, Stefan

EDV-Beratung   S t e f a n   R u n k e l
Laubacher   Straße  10,   14197   Berlin
Mailto: RunkelEdv@t-online.de
Tel.: 030 8270287-3   Fax: 030 8270287-4