Re: Problems with portmap when turning off diskless computers

Christophe wrote:

> Hi,
> I have a diskless PC  that boots over the net
> using etherboot.
> It works very nicely (even though I struggled with
> the setup :-)
> BTW, I run the latest 2.2.9 linux kernels but my
> problem also
> occurs with experimental 2.1.1xx linux versions.
>
> Anyway, my last problem is that I don't seem to be
> able to shutdown
> my diskless computer properly.  The initial
> shutdown steps look fine,
> but these are approximately the latest messages I
> get on the screen:
> --------------------------------
> Shutting down lp: lpd
> Shutting down system loggers: syslogd
> klogdUnmounting remote filesystems
> .rm:/var/lock/subsys/nfsfs: Read-only file system
> Stopping portmap services: portmap
> rm:/var/lock/subsys/nfsfs/portmap: Read-only file
> system
> RPC:  sendmsg returned error 101
> ----------------------------------
>
> And the last sentence is repeated continuously
> with approx. 4-5 seconds
> between each time the line is repeated.
>
> Has anyone seen this message ?   Is it safe to
> turn off
> the diskless computer anyway ?   (it seems the nfs
> file system *is*
> safely unmounted,  earlier in the lgout sequence I
> read:
> Shutting down NFS services:  rpc.mountd rpc.nfsd)
>
> What can I do  do avoid the RPC error messages ?

stopping nfs and rpc on a diskless client is a bad idea: you are removing
the floor under your feet - no more nfs but you need it to get all the
programs for the shutdown

nfs is a stateless protocol - it does no harm if you dont shut down nfs
and rpc

Gustl

--
August Hoerandl                  hoerandl@elina.htlw1.ac.at
Linux is like a wigwam:  no Windows, no Gates, Apache inside