Re: Netboot not detected by system with PCI SCSI host adapter

Hello,

Mike Hammer <mike-hammer@usa.net> wrote:
> Upon booting the sysstem, i can see on the screen that PCI SCSI controller
> BIOS is displaying its banner message with etc but soon as that's complete,
> i don't see the Netboot message at all.  As if Netboot has been completely
> bypassed by either system BIOS or SCSI controller BIOS.
> [...]
> So i guess i'm wondering why is that the presence of PCI SCSI adapter
> BIOS causes Netboot to get not called by the system BIOS?  Or am i seeing
> a limitation with Netboot in dealing with other add-in adapter BIOS's in
> the same system?

Do you have a bootable disk connected to the SCSI adapter? If so, and you
selected interrupt 18h handling during generation of the bootrom the BIOS
will always load the operating system from the boot disk instead of calling
netboot. In that case, you have to answer the makerom question "Do you want
the BIOS to look for boot disks?" with "no", so that interrupt 19h will be
used. Of course, it's still possible that the SCSI BIOS also redirects
interrupt 19h after the netboot bootrom has done so. In that case, you
should place the netboot bootrom on a ROM address higher than the SCSI
BIOS, so that the bootrom initialization gets called after that of the
SCSI BIOS and has a chance to redirect the interrupt properly. However,
if you are using a farily new system with a BBS compliant BIOS I recommend
to use version 0.9.0d of netboot, as it has full BBS support.

gero.

--
Someone's been mean to you! Tell me who it is, so I can punch him tastefully.
  - Ralph Bakshi's Mighty Mouse