Re: More on Netboot not detected by system with PCI SCSI host adapter installed

Hello,

At 10:39 AM 2/24/99 +0200, you wrote:

>On Tue, 23 Feb 1999, Mike Hammer wrote:
>
>> Well, i just tried out using etherboot 3.2 version and it does work
>> correctly even with PCI SCSI controller plugged into the system.  The
>[snip]
>> Using Netboot 0.8.1 for 8019 and 8029 (using Realtek packet drivers)
>> and doing the same tests on both network cards, the result is Netboot does
>> *not* get started at all by the system.  As i expected, Netboot seems to be
>> completely skipped over by the system BIOS.  Maybe there's a problem with
>> Netboot here?
>[snip]
>
>	Check the NOINT19H option in the Config file of Etherboot.
>
>	If this is enabled, Etherboot  starts booting as soon as it gets called,
>thus violating the standard boting procedure, and that's why it works.
>
>	If it's not enabled, Etherboot is inserting itself in to the INT 19H
>chain, and if no other boot device is found, it will start booting from
>the net.

I've checked both Config.16 and Config.32 and there's no definition of
NOINT19H in the makefile, i.e. -DNOINT19H is not defined in the makefile.
Hence Etherboot v3.2 *is* properly following the standard booting procedure
by hooking itself into system INT19H as valid physical boot device.  I've
checked and rechecked and -DNOINT19H is not used in the makefile.

Thus Etherboot v3.2 (or later versions) at least is doinging something
correctly.  I haven't yet looked at the Netboot code (version 0.8.1) in
detail to find out if Netboot is properly chaining itself to existing INT19H
handler.

>	Since you already have at least one boot device, your Netboot PROM
>and (I presume) Etherboot without the NOINT19H will not get a chance to be
>activated.

I guess i am not quite understanding the standard boot procedure.  This is
my understanding.  The system BIOS will scan for all the BIOS extensions
added into the system from 0C000:0000H to 0D800:0000H and as it sees a tag
identifier string that starts with 55AA value, it will immediately call
upon that BIOS extension code.  If the BIOS extension code that's being
called such as Netboot or Etherboot will act as one possible physical boot
device then it will chanin into INT19H and immediately exit out back to
system BIOS.  After system BIOS has completed the scan for all known BIOS
extensions, it will resume the bootstrap process by calling whoever has
chained the *last* (or is it the *first*) in the INT19H chain.  Thus if
Netboot
or Etherboot has properly chained to INT19H and it is the *last* (or is it
the *first*) one hooked into INT19H, it will get picked by the system BIOS
as the bootable block device and get called into.  Is this a correct
understanding?

One thing that i just noticed with version 3.2 of Etherboot is that if a
boot floppy is inserted into the system, Etherboot won't allow booting from
that bootable floppy.  I've checked the Config file but i don't see anything
there that would allow me to have Etherboot look for bootable device and if
so start from that bootable device, such as boot floppy.  Netboot does have
that feature of looking for a bootable device first since during
"make bootrom" it asks whether you want Netboot to look for a boot device
and if found boot from it as opposed to from network.

Any clue or suggestions?

Regards,

-mh

DSS/Diffie-Hellman Key