Test status of Netboot 0.9.0d with Realtek 8019/8029/8139

Hello,

I've been using Netboot 0.8.1 for sometime now and wanted to try out the
preview release, 0.9.0d and here's a sort of like test report on my findings.
Netboot 0.8.1 has been working *great* for 8019, 8029 and 8139 (using PKLITE
to compress the ~50KB of 8139 packet driver down to ~10KB).  Thus at least
i'm starting with proper baseline for BOOTPD and TFTPD configurations,
correct packet drivers from Realtek and my handling of PROM programming.

My test environment includes following network controllers:

Realtek 8019
Realtek 8029
Realtek 8139

For the Realtek 8019, i'm using the network adapter board thus
the bootprom will be socket'ed on the network adapter board itself.  For
the Realtek 8029, I'll be installing the bootprom on the network adapter
board (PCI board) as well as on the Single Board Computer (embedded
computer that has the socket already on the motherboard).  And finally
for the Realtek 8139, it will only be installed on the Single Board Computer
which has the 32-pins socket for something like 29C512 EEPROM.

Following is a list of what i have found thus far using the Netboot 0.9.0d
version:

NOTE: But first, the test environment used to obtain the following results
are listed below, i.e. for all the different test cases, following responses
remained consistently the same:

+ Build bootrom for a processor older than 386 (y/n) [no]? no
+ Include support for old-style menus (not recommeded) (y/n) [n]? no
+ Do you want the BIOS to look for boot disks (y/n) [n]? y
+ Will this ROM be installed on the network card (y/n) [n]?
+ Enter minimum execution size in bytes (-1 = default) (decimal): -1
+ Enter maximum execution size in bytes (-1 = default) (decimal): -1
+ Do you want to generate the packet driver debugger (y/n) [n]: n
+ Do you want to specify an additional program (y/n) [n]: n

0. Using Realtek 8019 (ISA network adapter that uses Realtek 8019)
+ Will this ROM be installed on the network card (y/n) [n]? y
+ Select a network card (-1 to preview the list) [0]: 0
+ Selected ISA bus.
+ Ignored the PnP Device ID.
+ Provided the name of packet driver for 8019 as provided by Realtek.
+ Enter command line for packet driver [0x%S]:
    Here, if i provide the option of "-d" with 0x62, i get an error when
    the packet starts that states, "no hw int".  However if i only provide
    the 0x62 at this prompt, the packet driver starts fine and i can continue
    onto BOOTP request generation.  The question is, is there problem in
    providing any other option(s) here besides the 0x62 software interrupt
    number?

After generating the raw binary file, "image.rom", i burned the rom file
to 29C256 (image.rom file size was 32KB).  I also generated the ramdisk image
file using the mknbi-dos that came with 0.9.0d just incase, however i believe
i can still use the old versions of mknbi-dos even with 0.9.0d.

Now if the network connection is not made with the network adapter, soon
after the "BOOTP: sending request" displays the first dot, i get the error
message, "BOOTP: Unable to send request".  I was under the impression that
we made BOOTP's retries to infinite way back in the early version of Netboot.
Does the BOOTP client quit after first display of "." (dot) on the screen?

After putting back the network connection, BOOTP client request was
successfully replied to by BOOTPD however now the TFTP client is posting
error message at "Loading ramimage.img:" that states "Loader error 36" which
i have never seen in previous versions of Netboot.  I'm not sure what's
going on here.  I guess i would need to look at the kernel sources.

Anyways, this is pretty much how far i got with 0.9.0d since i can't seem to
pass the TFTP client request.

1. Using Realtek 8029
>>>Testing to be done at later time.<<<

2. Using Realtek 8139 (Single Board Computer has a socket for 32-pins EEPROM
   device)
Will this ROM be installed on the network card (y/n) [n]? n
+ Select a network card (-1 to preview the list) [0]: 0
+ Selected PCI bus. Provided the "10EC" as Vendor ID, "8139" as Device ID.
+ Provided the name of packet driver for 8139 as provided by Realtek.
+ Enter command line for packet driver [0x%S]: 0x62

After generating the "image.rom" (32KB), i procedded to boot the SBC with
the programmed EEPROM installed on-board of SBC (Single Board Computer).
Soon as i reboot the computer and after seeing the BIOS banner screen,
i get a blank screen and the system gets frozen.

I also tried to use PKLITE compressed 8139 packet driver (~10KB) but the
result is the same.  After the PC boots, i get a blank screen and the system
gets frozen.

PS. Is is possible to use GNU "grep" pattern matching on a file in some
    recursive fashion as opposed to only on the current directory?

    Has the previous Netboot option to generate minimal kernel (~16KB) that
    takes out the ARP support been removed in 0.9.0d version?  If so then all
    the kernels will be generated as "standard" version?

    It seems the file "misc.dif" does include 8139 and 8029 however when
    running "make bootrom" under known network adapters display, only the
    Realtek 8019 is displayed.  I've looked at the source file that creates
    the array of network adapters and even tried to re-compile the source to
    see if 8029 and 8139 would appear on the list of known adapters, but with
    no success.  Is there some special thing that needs to be done to have
    8029 and 8139 show up under list of known network adapters?

    Is the support for NDIS2 and UNDI fully included in 0.9.0d?  Where can i
    get the UNDI drivers?

More later...

Regards,

-mh