No Subject

Sender: gero@gkminix.han.de (Gero Kuhlmann)
To: netboot@baghira.han.de
Newsgroups: gkminix.ml.netboot
From: Gero Kuhlmann <gero@gkminix.han.de>
Subject: Re: Second netboot preview
Sender: gero@gkminix.han.de (Gero Kuhlmann)
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 98 16:58:14 GMT

Hello,

Omar Walid Llorente <omar@oasis.dit.upm.es> wrote:
> > HELP NEEDED!!!
> [...]
> 	Hello Gero, i would like to help, but i can only use a day for it if
> and only if you need my help before the end of the year. If you can wait i
> will try to help after the 11st of January.

Thanks a lot for your offer. Since I'm presently lacking time as well, it
looks like the netboot-0.9 documentation won't be completed until the first
weeks in January. And even thereafter I still need people who are willing
to test netboot with as many configurations as possible. So there really
is no need to hurry...

> The problem
> with the 3c905B-Tx seems to be that the nic expect some kind of crc, because
> do not load after the uncompression is done (with the floppy) and do not
> uncompress with the bootprom engaged.

Unfortunately, I don't have a 3C905B, but the problems are known to me. Maybe
there is someone around who has such a card and who can take a look at the
low-level code provided with that card to find a solution.

> We have clone motherboards for 486, pentium 133 from zenith with Phoenix
> bios, asus with chipset tx-award modular bios 4.51PG-amd K6 166, and a
> new motherboard from zenith i'm testing with Phoenix bios 4.0r6.0-Pentium
> II-intel chipset.

Phoenix BIOS tests would be particularly interesting because all standards
on which netboot is based have been developed not only by Intel but also
in cooperation with Phoenix, so I think their BIOS should be the one with
the most exact implementation.

> 	If you think my work would be helpful, send me an email with the tests
> you want me to do. I will try to make them during the day of tomorrow. I
> think i would have ndis,linux and pktdrv for all of them.

Your work will definitely be helpful. Also everyone else is invited to
test the current netboot preview. Please send me your comments and bug
reports.

Thanks a lot in advance.

A happy new year to everyone on this list.

gero.

--
Here's a floppy with a tar of a compressed cpio archive... and they say Unix
is hard to use...