NFS and Linux 2.2.0-pre1 (or any 2.1.x with nfsroot capability)

I have read linux/Documentation/nfsroot.txt and have successfully set
up two nfsroot systems which boot from floppy.  However, I am plagued
with NFS problems.  Here is a sample error:

nfs_rename: old dentry partial/plugger_2.2-1.deb busy, d_count=3

The end result is that the file isn't renamed.

My server /etc/exports includes the following:

/boot/nfs1      nfs1(rw,no_root_squash)

and my client's /etc/fstab includes the following:

nfs1:/boot/nfs1 / nfs rsize=8192,wsize=8192,rw  0       1

Looking at the kernel source code (linux/fs/nfs/dir.c), the error seems to
occur when there are outstanding references to the file.  However, the
program I am running that generated the error (Debian's "apt-get") works
fine on an ordinary system (i.e. operating on /var/cache/apt/archives,
where /var is an ext2 filesystem).  Why is it that when the directory that
this file is on is mounted over nfs, I suddenly have this problem?

I have no need specifically for kernel version 2.2.0pre1, but I would
like to use the ability to mount the root via nfs built into the 2.1.x
(and now 2.2.x) kernels.  Any clues as to what version(s) of the kernel
work(s) best?

Thanks,
Ben
    Chebucto    http://www.chebucto.ns.ca   aa458@chebucto.ns.ca