Re: TFTP: ARP timeout

Alexander Hubmann wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> I'm trying to set up a remote boot config with netboot.0.8.1.
> All i have up to now is a bootdisk with bootimage for bootrom
> simulation and a bootimage in /tftpboot/bootImage.w95.
> Also I set up DHCPD 5.16 from ISC and tftpd via inetd.
> I use a ovis link network card with realtek8019 chip (ne2k) on
> irq9/io300h.
>
> when booting from the disk my syslog on bootserver says:
> BOOTREQUEST from 0:4f:4c:3:8d:40 via eth0
> BOOTREPLY for 192.168.83.10 to cc10 (0:4f:4c:3:8d:40) via eth0
> which sounds fine i think.
>
> The client then reports me the correct configuration as of
> local IP, server IP, and filename.
>
> But then I get:
> TFTP: ARP timeout
> Insert boot disk and press a key

I ran into something like this.  If you set up the tftp root path
to be /tftproot and then add the path '/tftproot' into the bootp
reply, the client will try to download /tftproot/tftproot/bootImage.w95.

So don't have a path in the bootptab for the tftproot, just set the
root path in inetd.conf (otherwise its a pretty huge security risk).

Crispin

--
Microsoft's Java implementation is the fastest, the best, and the most
compatible Java on the market today"