Re: How to look for specific bootp server

>> That's because it's looking for a tftp server next, not a bootp server.
>> DHCP is a replacement for bootp nor a precursor.
>>
>True, but the bootp server that I have also has tftpd running (err...inetd
>will load it if it is needed).  I even tftped to it and downloaded a file.
>So it is working, but like I said the log file doesn't show any connect
>requests for either bootp or TFTP.  Also I have read lots of faqs about
>how tftp and bootp work but I was only able to get a glimpse of a Solaris
>setup that was working.  Does someone have a setup faq with a few conf
>examples?

Let's be more precise with terminology here. Bootp normally refers to
one particular protocol running on ports 67 and 68. It's confusing if
you refer to the whole machine as "the bootp server". In fact, one server
can hand out addresses with bootp/DHCP, another can provide the tftp and
a third provide the NFS filesystem so there is not necessarily one server.

Having said that, I would use tcpdump to check what packets are going
onto the wire.