Re: How to look for specific bootp server

On Sat, 22 Aug 1998, Ken Yap wrote:

> >Currently on the university campus where I work we are using a DHCP server
> >to dish out leases on ipaddresses.  I have a separate server I am using
> >for Bootp testing.  The diskless machine finds the DHCP server and gets
> >its ipaddress.  Then it trys to find a kernel to boot off of.  I checked
> >the logs on the Bootp server and it said nothing about a connect from that
> >ip.  Any suggestions on a solution?
>
> That's because it's looking for a tftp server next, not a bootp server.
> DHCP is a replacement for bootp nor a precursor.

True, but the bootp server that I have also has tftpd running (err...inetd
will load it if it is needed).  I even tftped to it and downloaded a file.
So it is working, but like I said the log file doesn't show any connect
requests for either bootp or TFTP.  Also I have read lots of faqs about
how tftp and bootp work but I was only able to get a glimpse of a Solaris
setup that was working.  Does someone have a setup faq with a few conf
examples?

Thanks,

Mike Cathey

	Information Systems---S.A.U.		| "Great spirits have always
	http://www.southern.edu/~mpcathey/	|  encountered violent
	mpcathey@southern.edu           	|  opposition from mediocre
	Work: (423) 238 2712		 	|  minds."
	Dorm: (423) 238 3233            	|  --Albert Einstein